12 December 2019
WordPress version 5.3.1 is now available.
Upgrading to WordPress 5.3.1
WordPress 5.3.1 can be upgraded to (or installed) using any of Installatron's products. Use Installatron's optional Automatic Update feature to automatically apply WordPress updates as new versions are released, or use Installatron's Clone feature to duplicate an existing WordPress install to test the 5.3.1 upgrade prior to applying it live. Get started managing your WordPress installations with Installatron
What's New in WordPress 5.3.1
WordPress 5.3.1 security and maintenance release, featuring 46 bug fixes and enhancements plus a number of security fixes.
- Fixed an issue where an unprivileged user could make a post sticky via the REST API.
- Fixed an issue where cross-site scripting (XSS) could be stored in well-crafted links.
- Hardened wp_kses_bad_protocol() to ensure that it is aware of the named colon attribute.
- Fixed a stored XSS vulnerability using block editor content.
- Administration: improvements to admin form controls height and alignment standardization (see related dev note), dashboard widget links accessibility and alternate color scheme readability issues (see related dev note).
- Bundled themes: add customizer option to show/hide author bio, replace JS based smooth scroll with CSS (see related dev note) and fix Instagram embed CSS.
- Date/time: improve non-GMT dates calculation, fix date format output in specific languages and make get_permalink() more resilient against PHP timezone changes.
- Embeds: remove CollegeHumor oEmbed provider as the service doesn’t exist anymore.
- External libraries: update sodium_compat.
- Site health: allow the remind interval for the admin email verification to be filtered.
- Uploads: avoid thumbnails overwriting other uploads when filename matches, and exclude PNG images from scaling after upload.
- Users: ensure administration email verification uses the user's locale instead of the site locale.