29 March 2023
WordPress version 6.2 is now available (major release).
Upgrading to WordPress 6.2
WordPress 6.2 can be upgraded to (or installed) using any of Installatron's products. Use Installatron's optional Automatic Update feature to automatically apply WordPress updates as new versions are released, or use Installatron's Clone feature to duplicate an existing WordPress install to test the 6.2 upgrade prior to applying it live. Get started managing your WordPress installations with Installatron
What's New in WordPress 6.2
This release of WordPress reimagines your site editing experience, introduces more ways to style your site, and offers a new distraction-free way to write. Discover improvements that give you more control and freedom to express your creative vision. There’s something for everyone, whether you’re a content creator, developer, site builder, or designer.
- Meet the reimagined Site Editor: Ready for you to dive in and explore: 6.2 is your invitation to discover what the next generation of WordPress—and block themes—can do. Now out of beta, the Site Editor has an updated interface, giving you a new way to interact with your entire site. Explore full previews of your templates and template parts, then jump in and get to editing your site from wherever you choose.
- Manage menus in more ways with the Navigation block: Add, remove, and reorder menu items faster—with a new sidebar experience that makes editing your site’s navigation easier.
- Discover a smoother experience for the Block Inserter: A refreshed design gives you easier access to the content you need. Use the Media tab to quickly drag and drop content from your existing Media Library. Find patterns faster with a split view that lets you navigate categories and see previews all at once.
- Find the controls you want when you need them: Your block settings sidebar is better organized with tabs for Settings and Styles. So the tools you need are easy to identify and access.
- Build faster with headers and footers for block themes: Discover a new collection of header and footer patterns. Use them with any block theme as a quick, high-quality starting point for your site’s templates.
- Explore Openverse media right from the Editor: Openverse’s library catalogs over 700 million+ free, openly licensed stock images and audio—and now it’s directly integrated into the WordPress experience through the Inserter.
- Focus on writing with Distraction Free mode: For those times you want to be alone with your ideas. You can now hide all your panels and controls, leaving you free to bring your content to life.
- Meet the new Style Book: Get a complete overview of how every block in your site’s library looks. All in one place, all at a glance, directly in the Site Editor.
- Copy and paste styles: Perfect the design on one type of block, then copy and paste those styles to other blocks to get just the look you want.
- Custom CSS: Power up your site any way you wish with design tools and custom CSS for another level of control over your site’s look and feel for maximum creativity and artistry in your designs.
- Sticky positioning: Choose to keep top-level group blocks fixed to the top of a page as visitors scroll.
- Importing widgets: Options to import your favorite widgets from Classic themes to Block themes.
- Local fonts in themes: Default WordPress themes offer better privacy with Google Fonts now included.