27 December 2023
MediaWiki version 1.41.0 is now available (major release).
Upgrading to MediaWiki 1.41.0
MediaWiki 1.41.0 can be upgraded to (or installed) using any of Installatron's products. Use Installatron's optional Automatic Update feature to automatically apply MediaWiki updates as new versions are released, or use Installatron's Clone feature to duplicate an existing MediaWiki install to test the 1.41.0 upgrade prior to applying it live. Get started managing your MediaWiki installations with Installatron
What's New in MediaWiki 1.41.0
New user-facing features
- Special:RandomPage can now take multiple namespaces in its URL, split by ','.
- The aria-level HTML attribute is now allowed in wikitext by the Sanitizer.
New features for sysadmins
- $wgDBssl can now enabled in the installer when the database type is Postgres or MariaDB/MySQL (task T335828).
- MWHttpRequest will forward 'tracestate' and/or 'traceparent' headers when those are present in the original request and $wgAllowExternalReqID is set to true.
- MultiHttpClient will send X-Request-Id header and additionally will forward 'tracestate' and/or 'traceparent' headers when those are present in the original request and $wgAllowExternalReqID is set to true.
New developer features
- Added ForeignResourcesDir extension.json / skin.json attribute, which should point to the directory holding your foreign-resources.yaml file. See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Foreign_resources for background.
- Added PrivilegedGroups attribute for extension.json / skin.json, which lets you add any new user groups you define to wgPrivilegedGroups (see above).
- Added a .gitmessage commit template. To use it, run: `git config commit.template .gitmessage`
- A new hook, TextSlotDiffRendererTablePrefixHook, has been added to allow extensions to add content within #mw-content-text but after the DifferenceEngineViewHeader or DifferenceEngineShowDiffPage hooks have been run. The new hook is used to add elements within a horizontal display area, where their order can be explicitly set. Examples of uses for this include adding the VisualEditor diff-type switch, and the legend for inline diffs that is displayed if Wikidiff2 is installed.
- validation callbacks for HTMLForm fields can now return Status objects. HTMLForm::validate will convert good Status instances to true and Status instances to a string containing a list with the errors.
- MultiHttpClient constructor will accept `headers` property which defines a set of headers attached to every request performed by the client.
- New `Wikimedia/Http/TelemetryHeadersInterface` interface that provides a telemetry information which could be attached to HTTP Requests
- Wikimedia/Http/TelemetryHeadersInterface can be passed to MultiHttpClient via 'telemetry' option.
- UserRegistrationLookup adds support for multiple kinds of registration dates Extensions providing support for wiki-farm can use this to provide a global registration date (across all wikis), for example.
- When $wgUseXssLanguage is set to true (enabled by default in DevelopmentSettings.php), ?uselang=x-xss can be used to easily test whether all messages are being escaped correctly.
- Html::noticeBox accepts new optional parameters, 'heading' & 'iconClassName'. 'heading' allows to pass an string as title; 'iconClassName' overwrites the default info icon.