13 May 2022
Elgg version 4.2.0 is now available (major release).
Upgrading to Elgg 4.2.0
Elgg 4.2.0 can be upgraded to (or installed) using any of Installatron's products. Use Installatron's optional Automatic Update feature to automatically apply Elgg updates as new versions are released, or use Installatron's Clone feature to duplicate an existing Elgg install to test the 4.2.0 upgrade prior to applying it live. Get started managing your Elgg installations with Installatron
What's New in Elgg 4.2.0
- Improved user management: The admin pages for user management have been improved so it should be easier to find and manage your users. Some small features like sorting users have also been added to the members and group plugin.
- Phpfastcache: The built in cache engine Stash has been replaced with a more modern and better maintained engine called Phpfastcache. As the name suggests, this engine focuses on performance so that is always a good thing!
- System Messages: Site admins and developers now have more control over the system messages. You can configure the (default) duration before system messages disappear. Developers have the ability to set their own custom duration per message, but also can set more message types and specific call to actions.
- Modern thumbnail formats: Thumbnail images will now be served in the webp format instead of the jpeg format. Webp images can be served with higher quality and a smaller file size. Your website will detect support for this new format automatically so this will work automatically.
- Reported content notifications: Administrators will now be notified about reported content when it is created.
- MariaDB: Elgg now officially supports MariaDB.
- Unvalidated users: The process for unvalidated users that registered with an incorrect email address has been improved so that they can correct it themselves without the help of a system administrator. You can read the full release notes on Github. Developers should also have a look at the upgrade notes to see which changes might impact their plugins.