23 May 2019
PHPlist version 3.4.2 is now available.
Upgrading to PHPlist 3.4.2
PHPlist 3.4.2 can be upgraded to (or installed) using any of Installatron's products. Use Installatron's optional Automatic Update feature to automatically apply PHPlist updates as new versions are released, or use Installatron's Clone feature to duplicate an existing PHPlist install to test the 3.4.2 upgrade prior to applying it live. Get started managing your PHPlist installations with Installatron
What's New in PHPlist 3.4.2
- To further reduce the possibility of importing invalid subscriber email addresses: Email validation was added to the ‘Import subscribers from text file’ page; The ‘Omit Invalid’ option for subscriber addresses on the ‘Import subscribers from CSV file’ page is now enabled by default
- [CONTACTURL] placeholder support that allows customisation of vCard link anchor text
- The URL included in vCards linked from campaigns is now prefixed with http so that the link is clickable in all email clients
- Add support for inline (e.g. in-browser) viewing of campaign attachments in, allowing the opening of PDF files directly from plain text campaigns without the need to download them. This also works when viewing such campaigns via the Archive of the ViewInBrowser plugin — thanks to Lior, see the pull request.
- Improved updater notification logic to only show notifications when a valid phpList version is found
- Check if the PHP cURL extension is loaded on the server before using it in the Automatic Updater, avoiding a fatal error with blank page on servers without cURL
- Layout improvements to the ‘View Templates’ page: Adopt single-row view; Add an ‘Edit’ icon for each template; Remove the ID column; Set the templates table and column title
- Improve documentation in the Readme file of the phpList3 repository
- Add compatibility check for PHP 7.3 in automated tests
- Adapt the Automatic Updater codebase to be backwards compatible with PHP 5.3 and 5.4
- Upgrade the remaining jQuery library in /lists/js to the latest version
- Display all errors following unsuccessful subscribe page submission, solving an issue causing CAPTCHA plugin errors to be hidden — thanks to Duncan, see the pull request.
- Add spaces between statistics totals and percentages on ‘Campaign Statistics’ page
- Add JS script type attribute to updated references to jQuery scripts to avoid browser warnings
REST API Changes
- This update replaces the API access URL with a shorter one e.g:
- Base URL: http://example.com/lists/api/v2/
- Authentication: http://example.com/lists/api/v2/sessions
- Please make sure to have htaccess file support enabled and Apache mod_rewrite enabled
- The old access URLs like this have been depreciated: http://example.com/lists/base/public/api/v2/
- For system requirements and usage information see the phpList manual: API and Integrations
- A simple example of a REST API client written in PHP is available in the RestAPIclientSimpleExample repository
- Update the Readme file on phpList3 repository to state other repositories needed for properly running a local development copy of phpList.
- Add and update documentation on the new and updated placeholders. Documentation of all placeholders can be found in the Resources Wiki.
- Fixed blank public pages error introduced on the previous update to jQuery 3.3.1, due to stored reference to the old jQuery scripts in the footer of public page templates.
- Both the footer value of individual subscribe pages and the default pagefooter value on the config table are now updated to use the correct filename. The jQuery filenames no longer include the version number in order to avoid the problem recurring in the future.
- Make the organisation name accessible via [ORGANISATION_NAME] placeholder, usable within campaign templates and campaign content.
- Use the correct variable for the custom forward footer when forwarding campaigns — thanks to forum user @nicomars for reporting and @Duncan for implementing the fix. See the pull request.
- Select the “System template” template by default on the ‘Default templates suite’ page.
- jQuery for phpList 3 admin pages has been upgraded to version 3.3.1. This update addresses two upstream vulnerabilities from 2018. Thanks to forum user Kathleen Garland for reporting.
- Change permissions of the /plugins directory to 755 to improve security and fix compatibility with suPHP — thanks to Duncan for reporting.
- New REST API
- New stock campaign template
- All update notifications can be turned off in the config.php file
- If update notifications are switched on, then Release Candidate update notifications can be switched off via the ‘Settings’ page — see the pull request
- The setting ‘check_new_version’ for controlling update polling frequency has been depreciated – the interval is now 3 days
- Bounces to system messages are now associated with the subscriber they belong to for the first time. This means you can view all bounces relating to a subscriber, regardless of the kind of message that caused it, in one place within the Subscriber’s profile page — see the pull request
- Lists now honour the list order configured on the ‘Edit a subscribe page’ page even when public list categories are used — thanks to Duncan, see the pull request
- Made use of CONTACT placeholder case-insensitive.
- Removed extraneous space from CONTACT placeholder links which broke some URLs– thanks to Duncan, see the pull request.
- Improved wording and fixed typo in the transactional email containing personalised preferences links requested by subscribers.