18 August 2016
WordPress version 4.6 is now available.
Upgrading to WordPress 4.6
WordPress 4.6 can be upgraded to (or installed) using any of Installatron's products. Use Installatron's optional Automatic Update feature to automatically apply WordPress updates as new versions are released, or use Installatron's Clone feature to duplicate an existing WordPress install to test the 4.6 upgrade prior to applying it live. Get started managing your WordPress installations with Installatron
What's New in WordPress 4.6
- Streamlined Updates: Don't lose your place: stay on the same page while you update, install, and delete your plugins and themes.
- Native Fonts: The WordPress dashboard now takes advantage of the fonts you already have, making it load faster and letting you feel more at home on whatever device you use.
- Editor Improvement: Inline Link Checker: Ever accidentally made a link to https://wordpress.org/example.org? Now WordPress automatically checks to make sure you didn’t.
- Editor Improvement: Content Recovery: As you type, WordPress saves your content to the browser. Recovering saved content is even easier with WordPress 4.6.
Under The Hood
- Resource Hints: Resource hints help browsers decide which resources to fetch and preprocess. WordPress 4.6 adds them automatically for your styles and scripts making your site even faster.
- Robust Requests: The HTTP API now leverages the Requests library, improving HTTP standard support and adding case-insensitive headers, parallel HTTP requests, and support for Internationalized Domain Names.
- WP_Term_Query and WP_Post_Type: A new WP_Term_Query class adds flexibility to query term information while a new WP_Post_Type object makes interacting with post types more predictable.
- Meta Registration API: The Meta Registration API has been expanded to support types, descriptions, and REST API visibility.
- Translations On Demand: WordPress will install and use the newest language packs for your plugins and themes as soon as they’re available from WordPress.org’s community of translators.
- Customizer APIs for Setting Validation and Notifications: Settings now have an API for enforcing validation constraints. Likewise, customizer controls now support notifications, which are used to display validation errors instead of failing silently.
- Multisite, now faster than ever: Cached and comprehensive site queries improve your network admin experience. The addition of WP_Site_Query and WP_Network_Query help craft advanced queries with less effort.