Joomla 2.5 Mysqli

Regarding problems encountered while using the website owner interface.
DaveOzric

Joomla 2.5 Mysqli

Postby DaveOzric » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:29 am

I am starting to see some talk of using Mysqli for the new Joomla sites. While I know the option is in the Global Configuration settings as an option, I am also reading the install should be set to this as well. The Installatron interface show MySQL as locked during install (no MySQLi option).

Does anyone have any info on this. I have looked around and do not see any clarification. If I change it in the Joomla Global Config do I have to change it somewhere else too? Like in some config file code?

Specifically the SP Upgrade Joomla extension is recommending this as well. Very strange there is such a small amount of documentation about this.

From the Joomla Forum:
Both are interfaces for PHP to access a MySQL database. MySQLi is faster and potentially more secure, you should use it when available.

Thanks

DaveOzric

Re: Joomla 2.5 Mysqli

Postby DaveOzric » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:34 am

Side note: Looking at the config settings in each site via Installatron's control panel I see this.

Joomla 1.7.x sites have public $dbtype = 'mysqli'; in the config file details.

New and updated from 1.7.x 2.5 sites have this public $dbtype = 'mysql'; instead

So the default has changed when installing a 2.5 or upgrading but 1.7 installs use MySQLi?

Thank you,
Dave

Josh
Staff

Postby Josh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Hello,

This is a value that is historically controlled by Joomla. We'll research forcing "mysqli" on servers that support it for the next Joomla update.

Thanks,
Josh

DaveOzric

Postby DaveOzric » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I jumped the gun a bit with this one. It appears the config file gets updated if you change it in the Joomla Global Configuration settings. I was confused by the instructions to choose this when installing. So I figured it was hard coded somewhere I needed to change and every update it may be overwritten. I changed it and went back to the Installatron panel and it was updated in that config file.

So being able to change it for good in the site is probably good enough. Although the new recommended standard is going to be MySQLi maybe it should be an option or the default for new installs. Out of my realm.

Again thanks for the help,
Dave

ronypaul

Postby ronypaul » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:49 am

DaveOzric wrote:I am starting to see some talk of using Mysqli for the new Joomla sites. While I know the option is in the Global Configuration settings as an option, I am also reading the install should be set to this as well. The Installatron interface show MySQL as locked during install (no MySQLi option).

I have also found this type of error. Any one have solution regarding this.
Looking for Best Mobile App Development Company ? Contact us now at sales@protonbits.com

Add us on Skype: protonbits to request an free quote for mobile app development solutions.

Josh
Staff

Postby Josh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:14 pm

ronypaul wrote:
DaveOzric wrote:I am starting to see some talk of using Mysqli for the new Joomla sites. While I know the option is in the Global Configuration settings as an option, I am also reading the install should be set to this as well. The Installatron interface show MySQL as locked during install (no MySQLi option).

I have also found this type of error. Any one have solution regarding this.

Hi,

What's the exact error message text displayed?

Thanks,
Josh

ronypaul

Postby ronypaul » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:50 am

Hey Josh..
The Error message is "The mysqli extension is missing"
Looking for Best Mobile App Development Company ? Contact us now at sales@protonbits.com

Add us on Skype: protonbits to request an free quote for mobile app development solutions.

david_smith01

Postby david_smith01 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:57 am

DaveOzric wrote:I am starting to see some talk of using Mysqli for the new Joomla sites. While I know the option is in the Global Configuration settings as an option, I am also reading the install should be set to this as well. The Installatron interface show MySQL as locked during install (no

I found this type of error too. Any one have solution please help me out.

Return to “Website Owner Technical Discussion and Troubleshooting”