Godaddy Backup restore error : Restoring Backup error

Regarding problems encountered while using the website owner interface.
modeltmedia

Godaddy Backup restore error : Restoring Backup error

Postby modeltmedia » Fri May 01, 2015 4:02 am

I use godaddy cpanel with Installatron and I was unable to restore my wordpress from a installatron backup. I couldnt even use the backup to a new location or a new database. After attempting to backup my wordpress site, installatron completely screwed up the install and was no longer able to access my site or installatron settings. This freaked me out cause I relied on those backups! The only thing that saved my butt was by me doing scheduled database backups off-site, otherwise I wouldn have never been able to restore my wordpress site entirely.

Here is the problem I ran into and a solution to fix it.

I use a security plugin called WP ALL IN ONE SECURITY. The plugin recommends that you change the database table prefix for extra security. After changing the table prefix on the wordpress dashboard end "ie AIO security" Installatron see's the change in the table prefix in settings but unchecks all tables for the backup.

WITH GODADDY HOSTING:

When you click the Wrench (view/edit) and choose the tab "files and tables" the part where it says

"These database tables are associated with this installed application and will be included in backups."

become all unchecked. So when you think you are backing up your wordpress, you are only backing up the core and not the database. So when someone try's to restore wordpress from the backup, essentially Installatron is trying to overwrite the default table prefix "wp_" but if your current database doesn't have any tables with the prefix "wp_" it causes a Restoring Backup error. These are the 2 error messages I recieved when trying to backup my wordpress using both "TO ORIGINAL LOCATION" and "TO NEW LOCATION"

RESTORE TO ORIGINAL LOCATION ERROR

Restoring Backup: Error: A database query has failed. Is the entered database information correct? Does the account have available disk space?.....BUNCH OF SERVER ERROR JARGON>>>

RESTORE TO A NEW LOCATION ERROR

Restoring Backup: Error: A database query has failed. Is the entered database information correct? Does the account have available disk space?..........BUNCH OF SERVER ERROR JARGON>>>

WHAT I DID TO FIX IT:
1. Logged into phpmyadmin, changed all the database table prefixes back to "wp_"

2. Went back to installatron and backed up at original location. (at this point your core wordpress "ie, wp_config, htaccess, files, themes, plugins, and uploads" are all restored) but the database is still not syncing properly. So installatron will show the site preview like a fresh wordpress install and when you access your url it will ask you to setup your new wordpress installation. DON'T setup the wordpress installation, go to step 3. If you did setup the new wordpress installation its no big deal, you will just have duplicate tables and data to delete.

3. If you backed up your database off your original servers or you can somehow find a way to get a previous version of your database, then go back to PHP my admin. At this point installitron has the old tables or if you setup the new wordpress installation it will have the data that you put in from the setup but not your old data, So make sure to select all tables and drop them from the database.

4. Import your backed up database and walla, everything is back to normal.

I'm glad I have database backups off site that i was able to restore the database back to normal. If you never backed up your database off site you will have a hell of a time trying to recover your wordpress.

I highly recommend you backup your database in 2 locations.

If you have more questions, or would like help troubleshooting, please contact me at support@modeltmedia.com

I will also be posting a video tutorial on my blog at http://www.modeltmedia.com

HOPE THIS HELPS GUYS! -Craig

Phil
Staff

Re: Godaddy Backup restore error : Restoring Backup error

Postby Phil » Fri May 01, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the report. After a table prefix change the list of tables should not be reset. We're investigating this further and will include a fix with the next release.

Thank you,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

Return to “Website Owner Technical Discussion and Troubleshooting”