Migrate Magento installation from server to server

Regarding problems encountered while using the website owner interface.
ferryr

Migrate Magento installation from server to server

Postby ferryr » Fri May 11, 2012 7:13 am

Hi,

I have to migrate my Magento installation to another server. I have my Magento installation now on server1 associated with domain1 and I have to migrate it to server2 with domain2 (that migrated installation would use another domain-name, I don't know it that is relevant to know).

Server1 is a Shared Hosting DirectAdmin end-user account with Installatron installed on it. I got a running Magento installation (created with Installatron) on here.
Server2 is my own VPS with WMH/cPanel on it and I have got Installatron licensed and installed. The cPanel account with it's associated Domain is already made up. I just have to migrate my Magento installation from server1 to here.

Could you please provide me with a step-for-step guide.

Thanks in advance!

Phil
Staff

Re: Migrate Magento installation from server to server

Postby Phil » Fri May 11, 2012 11:09 am

Hello,

Sure, I'll be happy to provide a step-by-step guide.

1)

Please update server2 to the latest 7.1 build by executing this command from the SSH root command prompt:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/installatron/repair -f --edge

2)

Login to cPanel and click Installatron. Navigate to Magento and select "Import an existing install". In the box, enter the URL to the existing install on server1, and then press Import.

3)

You'll now be presented with additional prompts, including choosing the destination for the install to be migrated to, and prompts for the FTP information for the install on server1. When you're finished, press Import.

That's it! Installatron will now migrate the install from server1 to the selected destination on server2. If you run into any errors let us know and we'll be happy to assist further.

Thank you,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

redfeilds18

Postby redfeilds18 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:45 am

i have been facing the same issue!! thanks for providing step by step Guidance!

I need to move my magento local installation to a live server but I can’t do a clean install on the live server with the exact same database settings as my local server. For instance, my local server database connection users root > root (as username and password). But my live server can only be configured to use something like mydomain_root as the username.

so do you think the steps you have told will work for me?

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 am

Hello,

As long as your local server has FTP enabled, you should be able to use Installatron's Migrate tool to clone the install to your live server.

Within the Applications Browser, click "Magento", then click the little arrow next to "Install this application" button. This will load the import/migation wizard and you can just follow the prompts.

If you require any assist please let us know.

Thank you,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

Rachana

Postby Rachana » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:37 am

I need to move my magento local installation to a live server but I can’t do a clean install on the live server with the exact same database settings as my local server. For instance, my local server database connection users root > root (as username and password). But my live server can only be configured to use something like mydomain_root as the username.

Is there a config file or something where I can update the database username and password ?
Last edited by Rachana on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure exactly what the end goal is. The live Magento install won't be able to connect to your local database, if that's the goal. You'll need to transfer the database to your live server and update Magento's app/etc/local.xml config file to use the live database.

If you have any questions let us know.

Thanks,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

Return to “Website Owner Technical Discussion and Troubleshooting”