importing and updating mediawiki

Regarding problems encountered while using the website owner interface.
klusopedia

importing and updating mediawiki

Postby klusopedia » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:38 am

Hi,
i have a mediawiki site version 1.15 running that i installed myself. I would like to upgrade mediawiki to 1.16 and think installatron would be an option to use. However, i did change quite some things to my install. Not only extensions but also some editing in core mediawiki files.

My questions;
1. what happens when i import my own installation to installatron? Will i lose the changes that i have made, are there risks?
2. what happens when i then upgrade mediawiki with installatron? Again, Will i lose the changes that i have made, are there risks?

Kind regards,

Rutger

Phil
Staff

Re: importing and updating mediawiki

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Hello,

It sounds like Installatron will be able to assist you. To answer your questions:

1)

The Installatron import process will not modify the installation in any way. Installatron simply scans the install to learn more about it, and this information is recorded in an Installatron data file for the installation.

2)

Any customizations to PHP files will likely be lost by the upgrade process. This isn't an Installatron limitation; the Mediawiki upgrade process replaces old Mediawiki files with new files. Other customizations, such as Mediawiki settings or extensions, should not be affected by the upgrade process, however we strongly recommend confirming extension compatibility with the new version prior to attempting an upgrade.

We always recommend creating a backup prior to any upgrade. If any issues arise, the backup should be able to be restored.

Thank you,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

klusopedia

Re: importing and updating mediawiki

Postby klusopedia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 am

Thanks for your clear answers! i will give it a try then next weekend!

Return to “Website Owner Technical Discussion and Troubleshooting”