Another SugarCRM Issue

Regarding problems encountered while using the website owner interface.
markb1439

Re: Another SugarCRM Issue

Postby markb1439 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:40 pm

In case this helps, I set the folder permissions to 766 for the entire SugarCRM directory (recursive). After that, I couldn't even access SugarCRM:

==========
You don't have permission to access /sugarcrm/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.xxxxx.com Port 80
==========

I hope this information helps. BTW, I notice "FrontPage" in the error message, but I have turned FrontPage extensions off for that domain...not sure why it's showing up there.

markb1439

Postby markb1439 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:16 am

Okay, in working with cPanel support I've found important info:

Apparently, SugarCRM needs different permissions on a server with suPHP. I think they expect users to edit a couple of files beforehand (as outlined in some forums), or set the permissions after install.

This problem goes away when the entire SugarCRM directory is set to 0755 (folders) and 0644 (files) recursively. The reason it took so long to determine this is that I was doing this with FileZilla (recursively), however it turned out that FileZilla was not setting one directory's permissions (sugarcrm/cache/jsLanguage) correctly. After performing the operation in FileZilla, that folder's permissions were at 2770. So, changing everything to 0755/0644 via SSH did the trick.

So, this is still a problem for people installing on a server with suPHP. My opinion is that Installatron should set the permissions according to whether or not Sugar is being installed on an suPHP server. Even if Sugar expects users to do this manually when doing a manual install, the purpose of Installatron is to hide these kinds of details from users who might not be savvy enough to handle them. And, I assume that's the purpose of having a setting in Installatron's admin where we indicate that our server is suPHP. Isn't that setting so that Installatron can use the right settings for the server architecture? So, is it possible for Installatron to solve this issue by setting the permissions properly on an suPHP server? Again, I know it's a Sugar issue, but the whole point of Installatron seems to be handling these kinds of things.

BTW, Installatron keeps getting better and better...no "External Task" any more? Brilliant!!! The recent interface update is also superb.

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:19 am

Hello,

Thank you for the clarification and compliments. We're constantly striving to make Installatron better. :)

Regarding SuPHP, Installatron should be using different chmod values when SuPHP is detected (for example, 0755 would be used instead of 0777).

On the Installatron Admin >> Applications >> Dependencies screen we recommend setting "Setting Detection" to "Detect settings per installed application (recommended)". If it's set to "manual", the "PHP Server Type" setting further down that screen must be set to "SuPHP".

We will run some tests tomorrow and let you know what we find.

Thanks,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

markb1439

Postby markb1439 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:55 am

Hi Phil,

Thanks.

BTW, I did set this to "suPHP" and still had the issue.

I appreciate your efforts.

Mark

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:14 am

Hello,

We tested this yesterday on a SuPHP server and found 0755 and 0644 to be set on all directories and files, respectively.

Try a fresh install of SugarCRM 5.2.0h and if it's not correct open a ticket or reply with the output of a directory listing.

Thanks,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

markb1439

Postby markb1439 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:33 am

Unfortunately, the problem persists for me. On a fresh install, almost all of the permissions are set right. (But, as we know, "almost" only works in horseshoes and hand grenades.) ;-)

For example, the /cache/jsLanguage directory (which seems to be the source of most or all issues) has a 770 permission setting.

What could cause this and how can I ensure that the installer sets ALL files and folders to the right permission? I don't know why I'm getting different results than yours. cPanel says my server is set up right, so I'm about at my wit's end trying to resolve this.

What could cause the permissions I'm seeing (especially right after a new install, with nothing else happening to change them)?

markb1439

Postby markb1439 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:01 am

Okay, here is more information which (I hope) will help.

Part of the problem seems to be that, when SugarCRM creates new files or directories, it does not create them with the proper permissions for suPHP.

For example, even if I go through and make sure that all existing files and directories are set correctly, let's say that I click on the "Contacts" tab for the first time since installing Sugar. Sugar will create a "Contacts" folder in the jsLanguage directory in the cache...and the new folder will have the wrong permissions (770), and any SugarCRM activities in the "Cases" section will throw the error message. That's just an example...the results are the same from the first time you click any other tab too.

I know there are configuration files that tell Sugar what permissions to use when creating new files and folders. And it seems that these should be adjusted for suPHP, just as the overall installation needs to be adjusted. I can find out how to tweak these files manually, however, I can't tell my clients to do that when they use Installatron to install SugarCRM.

Hopefully this info helps solve the problem.

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:34 am

Hello,

Thanks for the follow up.

The files/directories created by Sugar are indeed chmod 0660 and 0770. This should cause no problems for SuPHP and is better from a security point of view. SuPHP only cares about the chmod of .php files that need to be executed through Apache.

We'll continue to research this. I'll let you know what we find.

Thanks,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

markb1439

Postby markb1439 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks. However, if those permissions should be fine, why does every action throw an error? The only way I can get rid of those errors is to do two manual fixes:

1) Right after installation, change the file and folder privileges that do not match the rest of the installation. (The previously mentioned directories do not have the same permissions.)

2) Change the two config files as mentioned.

Thanks for the help...hoping to see this error go away somehow.

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:22 am

Hello,

You're referring to the .htaccess errors in the Apache error log? Those should only occur when someone tries to access the 0770 directory over HTTP. It would be similar to trying to access a password protected directory with the wrong password.

Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

Return to “Website Owner Technical Discussion and Troubleshooting”