WordPress - are permissions correct?

Regarding problems encountered while using the website owner interface.
donnacha

WordPress - are permissions correct?

Postby donnacha » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:56 am

I am impressed by Installatron but there are a couple of WordPress issues that spoil the time-saving aspect.

When you install WordPress with Fantastico, you can upgrade plugins automatically, from the plugins page, without having to enter further details, you just press the button and the plugin upgrades. My early experiments with Installatron seem to suggest that the permissions for it's WordPress installs don't all this: pressing on the automatic upgrade button for a plugin brings you to a page asking for hostname, username and password, but it is not clear what these should be (FTP password? Root? WordPress? Nothing seem to work).

I suspect that a similar problem may affect automatic core upgrades i.e. upgrading the entire wordpress installation. I noticed that this works with push-button ease on a Fantastico-installed WordPress, no need to enter further details, the same as plugin upgrades, but I suspect this may not be the case for an Installatron WordPress, because it has problem auto-installing plugins.

Of course, you guys are so fast, you already have 2.7.1, so, I couldn't test that suspicion by upgrading. Also, not being able to upgrade the core will not be a huge issue if I mass upgrade my WP installations via Installatron but it would be nice to have all the same.

Auto-upgrading plugins, however, is very important, so, I would very much appreciate it is you could consider the way in which Installatron sets permissions when installing WordPress.

Thanks,

Donnacha

Rowan
Staff

Re: WordPress - are permissions correct?

Postby Rowan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:47 am

Hi,

Quick tip: Installatron allows you to install any version of Wordpress from the last few years.

Regarding CHMODs, we follow the recommended setup for CHMOD values, and yes that does mean that upgrading the plugins or core via Wordpress administration will not work. That is the intended way for it to work, according to the Wordpress documentation, and has been like that since 2.0 I think.

CHMOD 777 was considered a high security risk, so now you are generally asked to set those CHMODs only while you want to do something, then reset them back to "safe" values when you're done.

That said, it is quite easy to make Installatron install in a manner that allows for in-admin upgrading, if you're happy to do it that way on your server.

For example, this would do it:

Code: Select all

<?php
class i_installer_customcode
{
   function init()
   {
$this->registerCustomCode("wordpress", "all", "install", "last", "process", "wordpresschmod");
$this->registerCustomCode("wordpress", "all", "upgrade", "last", "process", "wordpresschmod");
   }
   function wordpresschmod($o)
   {
$o->chmod("*",0777,0777,true);
   }
}
?>

If you were to copy/paste that code into the Customize installers code field in Administration >> Settings it would CHMOD the entire install 777 at the end of each install or upgrade. And with everything CHMOD 777 it would have no trouble upgrading through the administration GUI.

However, that "bulk" approach would be a bit too risky. A better approach would be to determine exactly what CHMOD or CHOWN values are required, and on which files/directories, and then focus that customization code with those specific requirements. If you have a Fantastico install of Wordpress handy you could just look at that for a template.

That customization system allows you to install scripts the way you want them installed, and is capable of doing just about anything. If you have trouble with it or don't understand how to do something let me know.

Rowan.

donnacha

Postby donnacha » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:29 pm

Rowan, thanks so much for explaining that to me - I'm excited by the potential of all this, so, I'm going to dive deeper into the details of Installatron and I'm sure I'll be asking some more questions soon :D

Thanks again,

Donnacha

techdog

Postby techdog » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:14 pm

You don't need to set permissions to 777 in order to have control from within the wp admin to edit plugins or Themes. I work with one server provider who uses that other cPanel installer and when I install WordPress on the server, I do not need to enter an FTP username or password to use the WP Plugin or Theme installers. I also do not need to log in after the fact and change the permissions of the files/folders to be able to edit them through the WordPress admin dashboard.

It seems as though the Word Press user is equivalent to the account user in one install process yet not when using Installatron. Word Press has no rights to the files unless you modify the chmod permissions to give everyone RW or RWX permission. This is definitely not preferred. On one server I have full access via Word Press admin log in to edit files with permissions of 644 but on the Installatron servers, I need to change permissions to 646 to edit. Any ideas as to why?

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Hello,

It's possible the other installer is pre-saving the FTP username and password in a WordPress config file. We don't pre-save the password (we don't always have access to it), so WordPress prompts for the FTP information when/if it's needed.

For the highest level of security we recommend enabling SuPHP. With SuPHP enabled Installatron doesn't need to allow the web server to write to any files or directories. This also entirely avoids the necessity of a FTP layer.

Nonetheless, we'll look into this to see if changes to WordPress allow a better approach for non-SuPHP Installatron installations. I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Hello,

We've updated our WordPress package to automatically pre-fill as much of the FTP details as possible. Like I said before, not every control panel gives us access to this information, so some of it may be left blank.

An Installatron Update will download the new build of our the WordPress package.

Cheers,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

Return to “Website Owner Technical Discussion and Troubleshooting”