It's not a good thing

For urgent and private issues, open a support ticket instead of posting: https://secure.installatron.com/tickets
morfargekko

It's not a good thing

Postby morfargekko » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:37 am

Hello, the feature added in Installatron 5.1.64 that doesnt allow installation of scripts if the domain doesnt resolv is not realy a good thing. Clients who want to move to us and build their new site before they change the delegation can't realy do that.

I think that it should be an option if I want to use this feature or not.

Rowan
Staff

Re: It's not a good thing

Postby Rowan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:22 am

You can disable it with:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/installatron/repair -f
echo "domaincheck=no" >> /usr/local/installatron/etc/settings.ini

If the user has been added to the control panel then installing should still be possible even without the domain working yet (because of hosts), but perhaps you have a firewall rule setup to block HTTP access to domains from the server they're on.

Many of the scripts require the domain to be working before they'll install or upgrade correctly, which is why we added the check. Failed installs aren't too bad, but failed upgrades are a problem.

We weren't sure if we would add an admin option for this setting, but we probably will now.

Rowan.

morfargekko

Postby morfargekko » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks Rowan,

It worked as I think it should before the 5.1.64 upgrade but not now and I have not any rule to block HTTP access to domains from the server they're on.

It is good that it can be disabled but it would be better if it were an option in the panel.

Rowan
Staff

Postby Rowan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:30 pm

We discussed it some more yesterday, and we don't actually like it being disabled so it'll probably be one of those "contact us" things for now, or perhaps I'll add it to troubleshooting.

The trouble is that most scripts won't install or upgrade correctly before the domain is working, because most of them access files or scripts via the domain (locally and/or externally). Adding them in hosts, which the control panels do, will help in some cases, but not in most. And we get all the support requests for all the "the install doesn't work" and "the upgrade broke my script" problems caused by these not-working domains.

We're working on a new installer system, so it's something we'll continue to look at.

Rowan.

morfargekko

Postby morfargekko » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Thanks Rowan,

That is OK with me as long as I can disable it on my boxes. :)

morfargekko

Postby morfargekko » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:57 am

One more question:
Do I have to run the command every time Installatron is upgraded ?

I still think there should be an option that allow admins to disable this "feature" because there are a lot of hosts out there giving their clients the option to access their sites by http://serverIP/~username which gives them the possibility to build a new site at a new host while the old one is live. ;)

Rowan
Staff

Postby Rowan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:17 am

settings.ini shouldn't be overwritten by Installatron's update process. If it is, open a support ticket:

https://secure.liquenox.com/tickets

I can appreciate that you like the idea of new users being able to install stuff before their domain is working, but very few of the scripts are designed to work that way. The install processes are the same story. If some do work that way, it's really only by accident, not by design.

And for us, a thousand "why doesn't this script work?" outweigh the occasional "why do I have to wait a few hours to install something?". :) We'd rather this feature not be disabled.

Rowan.

morfargekko

Postby morfargekko » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:58 pm

OK Rowan, as long as I doesn't have to make the changes every time Installatron is updated it is good with me.

BTW I havn't, so far, found one script that doesn't work with the setup I have on my six servers. :D

Return to “Administrative Technical Discussion and Troubleshooting”