Question about databases created by Installatron

For urgent and private issues, open a support ticket instead of posting: https://secure.installatron.com/tickets
morfargekko

Question about databases created by Installatron

Post by morfargekko » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:36 am

Hello, when I install a script with installatron and then check the database with phpMyAdmin I found that allthough all tables have Collation of utf8_general_ci as they should but the Sum of all tables are latin1_swedish_ci. I have checked installations of Joomla 1.5.2 and Drupal 6.1 and both have the same result. I have checked installations made on two different boxes so I wounder if this is this something in the Installatron installation script or if it is it something in my boxes.

Rowan
Staff

Re: Question about databases created by Installatron

Post by Rowan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:52 am

I'm not too familiar with the technicalities, but I think the tables will be created by mysql's default type, unless otherwise specified by the creating script.

Installatron doesn't actually create any tables, or databases for that matter. The databases are created by the control panel, and the tables are created by the sql files or install scripts provided by the software being installed.

I don't think it's anything to worry about anyway.

Rowan.

morfargekko

Post by morfargekko » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:38 am

Thank's for Your answer Rowan, I will check how to change the mysql's default type. :)

morfargekko

Post by morfargekko » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:05 am

Rowan, I did a "normal" installation on an account in one of my boxes , creating a database , uploading Joomla 1.5.2 and so on and when I checked with phpMyAdmin the Sum of all tables were utf8_general_ci .

So as I see it there must be someting that Installatron does.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rowan
Staff

Post by Rowan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:24 am

I don't actually know what Sum of all tables is, but Installatron installs Joomla two different ways.

If you do an install with the default settings it installs like this:

. Asks the control panel to create a database.
. Edits the .sql files to use the generated prefix.
. Imports the .sql file that creates the tables using a standard PHP mysql import.

If you do an install with the "I want to import a Migrator file" option it installs like this:

. Asks the control panel to create a database.
. Loads Joomla's own install script as an "External Task" step, and this Joomla script creates the tables.

The method of creating the database and importing the .sql tables could possibly give varying results.

--

If it's causing any sort of problem you might be better off opening a ticket:

https://secure.liquenox.com/tickets

Rowan.

morfargekko

Post by morfargekko » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:11 am

It hasn't caused any problem, I just got the question from a client.

If You go to http://www.celona.se/images/utf8.gif You can se what I mean by "Sum of tables".
You can se that all tables use utf8_general_ci but at the bottom You se latin1_swedish_ci .

Rowan
Staff

Post by Rowan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:20 am

Well, if it causes any problems just open a ticket. If the script works I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Rowan.

morfargekko

Post by morfargekko » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:50 am

OK thanks Rowan.