Installing app when DB limit has been reached: wrong error

For urgent and private issues, open a support ticket instead of posting: https://secure.installatron.com/tickets
jas8522

Installing app when DB limit has been reached: wrong error

Postby jas8522 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:35 pm

I was attempting to install Wordpress on a domain created through Plesk that does not have any remaining databases available to provision (I was unaware of this in the beginning).

Installatron threw an error about being unable to connect to the database. The database was randomly named since it was supposed to have been created by installatron. The account to which I was trying to install Wordpress had a limit of 1 DB and that was already used by an older Wordpress database. Thus, it's not surprising that Installatron would throw a database error.

What *is* surprising and potentially problematic is that Installatron threw an error about not being able to connect. It should have failed and provided an error sooner than that - when it was trying to create the database. The error should have been something like:

"Unable to create database. Check your control panel to ensure you have the resources available to provision a new database, or check your MySQL settings to ensure you have permission to create databases"

Instead I got something about not being able to connect to the database (sorry I don't have the exact text).

As a result of this, it took me about 10 minutes to figure out what was actually wrong - it would be helpful to have a more accurate error description!

Cheers,

Jordan

Phil
Staff

Re: Installing app when DB limit has been reached: wrong error

Postby Phil » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:46 am

Hello,

We agree. We've already updated our Plesk integration in the latest edge build of Installatron to include a better error message. To update:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/installatron/repair -f --edge

This change will also be included in the next release version.

Cheers,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

Return to “Administrative Technical Discussion and Troubleshooting”