Install application without active domain

For urgent and private issues, open a support ticket instead of posting: https://secure.installatron.com/tickets
fransonline

Install application without active domain

Post by fransonline » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:45 am

I want to install an appliacation without an active domain (yet).
Installatron comes with a 403 error.
How to resolve this? :?:

michael-zitrox

Re: Install application without active domain

Post by michael-zitrox » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:02 am

need the same thing to..

the application should NOT check, wheter the domain already points to a server.

reason: we are a hoster and offers our clients free installation of some cms.
now, 99% of all new hostings, dont have an active domain and a lot of our clients work with the temporary path..

since the new update, we cannot longer use installatron

Phil
Staff

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi,

The Installatron domain check was added in Installatron 5.2 to ensure every install works. Not all applications will operate correctly when the installation URL does not work.

Depending on the server's DNS configuration, Installatron will use the local DNS first. Even when a domain doesn't resolve for the rest of the world, as long as the local DNS records are correct it should still resolve locally.

The domain check can also be turned off completely. Please see this entry on the troubleshooting page:

http://installatron.com/troubleshooting#domainfailed

This feature should not adversely affect anyone.

Thanks,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

DaveOzric

Post by DaveOzric » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:11 am

Hi, I am just getting on-board here. I have been using Simplescripts to manage my installs, but since yesterday it is been nothing but errors and headaches.

I think I understand this post but want to be sure. I have been installing Joomla on my VPS and using my cpanel domain followed by the folder it's installed in as a temp url to use. Once the site is finished I addon the domain pointing to that folder and it's done.

So basically if the domain is pointed to the server it will work this way? I am registering my domains somewhere else, but they are pointing to my nameservers on my VPS.

Would there be any issues with that transition. I had one instance of the php configuration file not showing the domain correctly. No biggie though.

Thanks

Phil
Staff

Post by Phil » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Hello,

This post is a little misleading. Under normal circumstances there is no cause for concern--domain pointers are fine, subdomains are fine, and using nameservers are fine too. It's only when a domain is pointing to a different server that this post applies.

I can't see any problems with the case you describe, and I don't think there will be any transition problems. Installatron will be able to handle installing to your cpanel domain fine, and later you can use the Installatron "edit" tool to let Installatron know the install was moved.

If there are any questions let us know.

Thank you,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder