Database Name/User Length Error

For urgent and private issues, open a support ticket instead of posting: https://secure.installatron.com/tickets
TheSidewinder

Database Name/User Length Error

Postby TheSidewinder » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Either the server is to blame, DirectAdmin is, or Installatron is, but...

When you try to install any app that requires an SQL database, and let Installatron handle the Database Details (creation of dbase and user within), it appears to be trying to create a name that's too long (maybe), and the install fails with a rather unhelpful error message:

Code: Select all

Error
Unable to create a database. Check that your hosting account has at least one database available. If it does, please contact your host.

Technical Error: `' ,

(To immediately dispel that notion: I can create all the databases I want to. And a database WAS created by the install, but it failed. See below.)

I tested it with several users, which had progressively more or fewer characters in the name, and every time I tried, Installatron used a progressively longer database name. i.e.

rvu_7Hf47Wordpr
rvus_7Hf47Wordp
rvusa_7Hf47Word

That's right up against the 16-character limit for database name (including account prefix).

The odd part is that it DID CREATE the database, just as it appears above.

Is Installatron trying to create a database name of fixed length, instead of subtracting the account name length and the "_", before deciding on the length of an appended datbase/user name??

Or is that something misconfigured on the server or within DirectAdmin??

If I choose to handle the database creation details myself, and choose a database I already created (16-character limit, including account name and "_") then it works perfectly.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Staff

Re: Database Name/User Length Error

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Hello,

On DirectAdmin we assume a maximum MySQL database name length of 16 characters. This has always been correct in the past, however I see the names you pasted are actually 15 characters each. Thus it seems Installatron is trying to use 16 characters but it's getting truncated to 15 characters. Are you aware of any MySQL or DirectAdmin setting that may have been modified to affect this?

I found this:
http://directadmin.com/forum/showthread ... +character

Check the length of the mysql.user table's User column. Let us know if that helps.

Thank you,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

TheSidewinder

Postby TheSidewinder » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Sorry, the copy and paste was an example. I meant it to have 16 characters, not 15, however.....

This turned out to be an issue that the error message had NOTHING to do with.

My host tried to do a rebuild/repair from SSH, using the instructions here in the Support section:

wget http://data1.liquenox.com/installatron/installatron_setup.sh
chmod 755 installatron_setup.sh
./installatron_setup.sh -f

This threw an error:

Detecting supported archive extraction handlers... done.
Error: No `tar.gz' Archive Extraction Handler!
Installatron must be able to extract tar.gz archives.
Please contact Installatron support:
https://secure.installatron.com/tickets
Aborting.

But he DID have tar/zip installed and running.

Next he went into Admin -> Dependencies and saw that, indeed it wasn't picking up zip/tar.

And also there, is a similar repair utility. He ran that one and there was no error.

THEN... Admin -> Dependencies now showed the tar/zip dependencies were working.

Once that was completed, all the Installatron apps could be installed without error.

He and I have no idea why or how this got fubar'ed, but it now works.

Maybe that Support doc needs updating?

I'll leave that to you. ;)

Thanks for your help.

grindflow

Postby grindflow » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:05 pm

We are using Kloxo and were having problems connecting to mysql localhost

Access denied for user 'USER'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

After 2 days of saying WTF and trying several solutions, we realized that the database was being created, but the user wasn't being created

This is because our clientname was over 15 characters and installatron was not checking the length when creating the database user... Therefore we had no user and an worthless database and apps were not installing

Hopefully a validation can be worked into installatron or this will help some other people having problems

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:31 am

Hello,

Thanks for the report regarding Kloxo.

We'll do some testing on our Kloxo development VPS on Monday and issue a fix to to the Installatron Edge build if necessary. We'll update this thread then.

Thanks,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

jordansransom

Postby jordansransom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Phil,

How did things look when you checked on the VP server? I noticed the thread was never updated. Did you need to run a fix? The reason I ask is because I am doing so much work as of late involving online file storage so it is always interesting to hear what experiences other people have, especially developers. Any detailed information you could give me would rock!
Last edited by jordansransom on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Hello,

Yes, this issue was fixed. If any problems are experienced, check that the MySQL settings at Installatron Admin >> Applications >> Dependencies are set correctly.

Thanks,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

Return to “Administrative Technical Discussion and Troubleshooting”