php5 and php6, cgi or cli

For urgent and private issues, open a support ticket instead of posting: https://secure.installatron.com/tickets
Johannes

php5 and php6, cgi or cli

Post by Johannes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:14 pm

I am upgrading from php4/5 to php5 and php6. Which version should I install as cgi and which as cli?
Which is better for all the scripts, which is more secure?
(Running on DirectAdmin with php-version-selector; Debian 3.1)
Thank you

Johannes

Phil
Staff

Re: php5 and php6, cgi or cli

Post by Phil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi,

I suggest reserving the suexec-enabled PHP for hosting applications. There's a few reasons for this, but it's primarily a security issue. Beyond that, there's really only two things to watch out for:

1) If the control panel copy of PHP (/usr/local/installatron/bin/php) is 6.x then Installatron won't work, as it requires ionCube for encoding and there is no ionCube PHP6 support yet.

2) Each application has its own requirements and the potential to be incompatible with PHP 6.

So in summary, whichever copy of PHP that will get the most use should be the one installed as CGI. The other should be CLI.

Cheers,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Phil,

thank you for the hint with suexec, I had overseen it.. !
I will check: ionCube-php5 for Installatron.
I will use: php6 is too new, so the most used should be php5 as cgi, and php6 as cli, right?

Thank you for fast help!

:)

regards,
Johannes

Rowan
Staff

Post by Rowan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Most would use PHP5 I'd think. I don't know how many web hosts have switched to PHP6, but it wouldn't be many at this point, I would think.

Rowan.