One-click staging / development area

For Installatron Sales: sales@installatron.com
jas8522

One-click staging / development area

Postby jas8522 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Hey guys,

One feature that other providers like WP Engine have trumped us on has been the simplicity of an auto-created staging environment for development. At the moment we can definitely make use of the Clone functionality to easily clone a WordPress (or other app) install to a development environment, but it's not quite as powerful as what services like WP Engine are offering. Currently the process is:

1) Create new subdomain in Control Panel
2) Clone installation to subdomain
3) Make dev changes
4) Clone back to production domain BUT we also have to be very careful with the database -- ensuring that new posts, orders, customers, etc. from the live site are merged into the dev environment before restoring overtop of the production site

It would be brilliant if Installatron could do much of this for us. For example this is the process flow I'd like to see:

CREATE
1) Click "Create staging environment"
2) In the background, Installatron creates a 'staging.{domain}' subdomain for us (using CLI API if using cPanel or Plesk) and clones the site over, then takes us to the development site admin panel

MAKE LIVE
1) Click "Merge to live site" on the staging installation. In the background, Iinstallatron does the following:
2) Backs up the live site
3) Grabs all changes on the *live* site DB and merges them back to the dev site (so new orders, customers, etc. are there but the dev changes aren't overwritten)
4) Runs rsync (or something similar) to send over a diff of all changed files form the staging site to the production site
5) Merges over the complete dev DB to the live/production site (now that it has the newest data as described in step 3)

I know this isn't trivial, but it would be one awesome feature for Installatron to have!

Thanks for considering.

-Jordan

Phil
Staff

Re: One-click staging / development area

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi Jordan,

I agree this is an area we can improve functionality. It's further complicated because Installatron can't rely on system binaries like diff and rsync as they aren't present or callable under many supported environments. However, there are some tricks we can use to get around this and advanced features like this are always something we're investigating.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

wolf

Postby wolf » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi , I would like to add my upvote on this feature. It would be something I would be willing to pay additional money for!

kel

Postby kel » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am

This is something that I am interested in as well. I've noticed that Go Daddy even has this feature now and if the client is using it, it's pretty hard to tell them they have to do it manually or having a tech do it for them.

jkirker

Postby jkirker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:02 pm

I too am extremely interested in this and would be willing to kick in some cash so that the community could enjoy this. It is truly an increasingly important component for hosting.

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”