It's nice to be able to install betas

For Installatron Sales: sales@installatron.com
interfaSys

It's nice to be able to install betas

Postby interfaSys » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:38 am

I've wanted this for a long time and now I see that there is a beta of Drupal 8 ready to be tested. I hope it's only the beginning.

One feature you may want to look at is to have some sort of git install mechanism where the user could track a branch and get periodic updates. It would allows users to test new features, but also stay up 2 date with patches in between releases if they want to.
Olivier
interfaSys
Web, mobile, hosting product and service development experts

Phil
Staff

Re: It's nice to be able to install betas

Postby Phil » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:49 am

Hello,

Yep, beta versions will be supported going forward, however for now support will be limited to mature apps with an established release cycle (like Drupal).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean in regards to the tracking feature. Can you elaborate a little more on that?

Thanks,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

interfaSys

Re: It's nice to be able to install betas

Postby interfaSys » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:27 am

Some projects on Github are properly setup with various branches. Bug fixes are committed to master and back-ported to one or more release branches.
Unless a bug fix is about security, we usually have to wait for the next release to get the bug fix, unless we track the release branch on Github.
Some times a dev branch or one for the next release is created and it allows users and developers to start working on the next version.

Once you have git and a couple of scripts in place, anything is possible. There just needs to be a clear warning about tracking some beta branches as they sometimes break things.
Olivier
interfaSys
Web, mobile, hosting product and service development experts

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”