Email notification overload

For Installatron Sales: sales@installatron.com
jas8522

Email notification overload

Postby jas8522 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Hey there,

I keep hearing from friends and family with WordPress installs that they're getting quite a number of emails from us. The other day when WordPress 4.0 was release and tons of plugins had updates come available to support WP4, I noticed this for myself (as reflected in the attached image). The general idea is that they receive a notification email for each and every plugin update and WordPress release. This is quite a number of emails.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to queue the application updates along with plugin and theme updates and send a single email weekly as long as it's not about a security-release. (ie: only security updates notify immediately).

This way the email could simply say something like:

Hi there!

We've got some updates for your website ready to be installed. Check 'em out and get updated to ensure you've got othe latest features and best in security for your site.

Application updates here

Plugin updates here

Theme updates here

Click here to log in to our panel to get these apps updated, or navigate to the app specific settings to turn on auto-update to no longer be notified in the future.

---

It would also be great to not get notifications about updates if the site is set to auto-update (perhaps it's already like this?) Therefore the notification email would only be sent if auto-update for the application/plugins/themes is not enabled.

Thanks for the consideration!

http://cl.ly/image/0C2L0f470P3H

Phil
Staff

Re: Email notification overload

Postby Phil » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:59 am

Hello,

Currently, website owners can toggle these emails off for one or more installed apps using the Edit button (select multiple apps at once and then click Edit so each doesn't need to be saved individually), or you could switch these notifications off entirely for the server at Installatron Admin > Interface > Email.

Looking forward to new releases, we're looking at ways to improve the email notification system for WordPress plugins/themes. One thing we are investigating is a condensed email format and I expect we'll include this with one of the next releases.

Thank you,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

jas8522

Re: Email notification overload

Postby jas8522 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks Phil!

I was aware of the ability to toggle them off, and we do that on a case-by-case basis, however we still want our customers to be aware of security implications to their systems, but preferrably without annoying them.

It's certainly a delicate balance ensuring someone is informed of potentially serious threats to their website, but also not notifying them so much that they're annoyed enough not to take action.

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”