More cloud backup options?

For Installatron Sales: sales@installatron.com
ozfiddler

More cloud backup options?

Postby ozfiddler » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi,

First, thanks for a great feature in the automatic scheduled backups to Dropbox. That is something I've been trying for years to organise to my liking and it does the job very well. Previously I had been doing automated backups to my PC, then uploading to the cloud. It's much faster this way round - because it goes to the cloud first, it's then a download to my PC.

One question... are there any plans to add more cloud options (for example Google Drive) to this feature? I have a lot of space available in Drive, but will need to buy some if I use Dropbox.

Cheers,
Alan

Phil
Staff

Re: More cloud backup options?

Postby Phil » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Hello,

There are plans to add support for additional remote backup services in the near future. Google Drive is one we're looking at closely as it seems to be growing in popularity rapidly.

Thank you,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

ozfiddler

Postby ozfiddler » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:22 am

Great! That's very exciting. I agree that Google Drive seems to be growing in popularity. I've recently become very interested in Chromebooks (we have 2 in our household) and you can get a 100GB Drive account included in the price of the laptop.

Thank you!

interfaSys

Postby interfaSys » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:54 pm

I'd love to see:
- a generic WebDAV implementation, because lots of cloud solutions support it
- S3, because it's a standard

And on top of that, strong encryption should me mandatory for anything leaving the server as backups contain sensitive information.
Olivier
interfaSys
Web, mobile, hosting product and service development experts

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Hello,

WebDAV is currently partially implemented. I expect we'll get the rest of the implementation in short order.

The current remote backup options all use some form of encryption except for the plain FTP option (Dropbox does use HTTPS for all communication). By the way, the plain FTP option (or any option) can be switched off at Installatron Admin > Backups > Automation.

Thank you,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

interfaSys

Postby interfaSys » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:33 am

Hello Phil,

Good news about WebDAV.

What I meant about encryption is using AES-256 or something similarly strong to encrypt the backup itslef before it leaves our servers, so that companies like DropBox don't have access to customers' files.

Is there an easy way to add a storage location without using the form?
Customers can't easily set up duply all by themselves, but we could configure it and let them use it to backup Installatron data.

Cheers,

Olivier
Olivier
interfaSys
Web, mobile, hosting product and service development experts

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Olivier,

I see what you mean in regards to encryption. We'll investigate the feasibility of supporting something like this.

Regarding adding locations, the "edit" API can be used to set the backup location for an installed app. Simply include a "bkloc" argument set to the URI to a backup location.

Supported filesystem protocols:
- FTP
- FTPS
- SFTP (SSH)

Examples:
- ftp://user:pass@server
- sftp://user:pass@server/backups
- ftp://user:pass@server/backups

Thank you,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

bmwillrath

Postby bmwillrath » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Another vote for S3.

S3 is the standard cloud storage platform these days and I really can't think why you guys don't have it.

As a server admin for all the sites I manage, I want their backups to go to S3, S3 is easily scalable and I don't have to worry about size or paying for more "Storage" I can just set and forget, the backups will keep happening and the size will keep going up and I won't have to worry about it.

Please implement this one, It is much needed and will be highly used.

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:12 pm

Hello,

I can confirm that S3 support will be the next platform added.

Thank you,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

adamnash

Postby adamnash » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:18 am

bmwillrath wrote:Another vote for S3.

S3 is the standard cloud storage platform these days and I really can't think why you guys don't have it.

As a server admin for all the sites I manage, I want their backups to go to S3, S3 is easily scalable and I don't have to worry about size or paying for more "Storage" I can just set and forget, the backups will keep happening and the size will keep going up and I won't have to worry about it.

Please implement this one, It is much needed and will be highly used.

Amazon S3 is scalable, high-speed, low-cost Web-based service designed for online backup of data, the S3 was intentionally designed with a minimal feature set and was created to make Web-scale computing easier for developers.
it's very easy to use platform and i also recommend for it

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”