Wordpress plugins are not updated despite confirmation email

For Installatron Sales: sales@installatron.com
interfaSys

Wordpress plugins are not updated despite confirmation email

Postby interfaSys » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Installatron offers the possibility to automatically or manually update Wordpress plugins, but this feature doesn't seem to work.

Using the admin panel, I press on the red update button, then agree to update the plugins and start the process.

We get confirmation emails telling us that plugins have been updated, but nothing is actually done. I can't find any error report in the logs.

If using the WP admin interface, we can select the outdated plugins and press on update. We're then asked for FTP details and the update is performed.
Olivier
interfaSys
Web, mobile, hosting product and service development experts

Phil
Staff

Re: Wordpress plugins are not updated despite confirmation e

Postby Phil » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Hello,

If you select to update a single install, are out of date plugins listed on the form in the "Plugins and Themes" box?

I suspect there's a permission or ownership issue in play here. Check the error log at /var/installatron/logs/error_log and /var/installatron/logs/install_error_log for any entries related to the update failure.

Thanks,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

interfaSys

Postby interfaSys » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Hello Phil,

Are files such as "/deleteme.wpwt65.php" used by Installatron to perform updates?

These calls are blocked by mod_security.

Cheers,

Olivier
Olivier
interfaSys

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Hello,

HTTP GET requests to deleteme.*.php files on the domain are required for normal operation throughout Installatron. Note that DNS does not need to resolve since an internal DNS layer is used.

The specific requests for updating plugins are sent as POST. I'm guessing it's this fact that's causing the mod_security problem since the regular GET requests are presumably working.

Can you whitelist requests to any deleteme.*.php file?

Thank you,
Phil.
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

interfaSys

Postby interfaSys » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:44 am

Hello Phil,

So, I modified the rules for Wordpress and gave it another go, but it didn't change anything.

I select a single install and ask for an update.
I'm presented with a list of plugins to update.

I've checked the logs.
In filesystem_log

Code: Select all

2013-11-21T16:33:53+01:00 SUCCESS chmod(/domain.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cms-tree-page-view) - code: core_chmod($path,511);
2013-11-21T16:33:53+01:00 SUCCESS chmod(/domain.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sem-autolink-uri) - code: core_chmod($path,511);
2013-11-21T16:33:53+01:00 SUCCESS chmod(/domain.com/public_html/wp-content/upgrade) - code: core_chmod($path,511);
2013-11-21T16:33:49+01:00 SUCCESS rm(/domain.com/public_html/deleteme.o7rbnxru.php) - code: core_unlink($path);
2013-11-21T16:33:45+01:00 SUCCESS rm(/domain.com/public_html/deleteme.dhzjxw6b.php) - code: core_unlink($path);
2013-11-21T16:33:31+01:00 SUCCESS rm(/domain.com/public_html/deleteme.ihqu7kn6.php) - code: core_unlink($path);
2013-11-21T16:33:31+01:00 SUCCESS rm(/var/installatron/tmp/cil_current_5D8P8W) - code: core_unlink($path);
2013-11-21T16:33:28+01:00 SUCCESS rm(/domain.com/public_html/deleteme.nczqoeqm.php) - code: core_unlink($path);

Nothing in error_log and install_error_log

I've checked the domain's logs and I can see Installatron calling scripts.

I've also noticed the use of wp-cron.php
Are updates done through the cron?

Cheers,

Olivier
Olivier
interfaSys

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:42 pm

Hello,

We don't use wp-cron.php at all. Those requests are coming from something else.

I presume this is a mod_php server since earlier you said it was prompting for FTP details within WP itself?

For an affected install, reply with a directory listing for the /home/USER/domains/DOMAIN.COM/public_html/wp-content/ directory and the /home/USER/domains/DOMAIN.COM/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ directory. If preferred, feel free to open a ticket to keep this information private.

Thanks,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

interfaSys

Postby interfaSys » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Olivier
interfaSys

interfaSys

Postby interfaSys » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:41 am

I just want to confirm that this is now working properly.
Olivier
interfaSys

Phil
Staff

Postby Phil » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Hello,

This specific problem is fixed, however we still have an open issue related to plugin/theme updates where apache-owned files can cause an issue under certain server configurations. This doesn't affect most servers and will be fixed on 9.0.8 coming tomorrow.

Thanks,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

interfaSys

Postby interfaSys » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 am

I think I may have identified what was happening, if you were/are updating themes and plugins by calling an URL.
We had some IPs whitelisted as some sites were private and localhost was not in the list as it would allow people hosted on the same server to visit the sites.
I think removing that block was what allowed Installatron to work properly again.
Maybe there is something like Drush for Wordpress which would make calls to the DB without visiting any URL?
Olivier
interfaSys

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”