App Request: Canvas LMS

For Installatron Sales: sales@installatron.com
jas8522

App Request: Canvas LMS

Post by jas8522 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi there,

I'm not sure how easy it would be to add given that their distribution is via git repo, but Canvas LMS is an open source learning management system that I've heard good things about. We have a client looking to use it, and while we could certainly set it up via Git, using the Installatron GUI would be much simpler for the client (and us!) not to mention provide backup functionality.

https://github.com/instructure/canvas-lms/wiki

Thanks for considering!

Jordan

Phil
Staff

Re: App Request: Canvas LMS

Post by Phil » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Hello,

We've seen a number of requests for Chamilo and plan to add that app soon. Do you know how Canvas LMS compares to Chamilo and Moodle?

Thank you,
Phil
Phillip Stier
Installatron Co-Founder

jas8522

Post by jas8522 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 pm

We've seen a number of requests for Chamilo and plan to add that app soon. Do you know how Canvas LMS compares to Chamilo and Moodle?
I'm afraid I don't in terms of functionality as I've barely used Moodle and haven't touched either of the other two. That said, Canvas LMS definitely seems to be the best designed of the bunch.

Jordan

jas8522

Post by jas8522 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:03 pm

I've just tried to install this manually and it certainly doesn't seem feasible on a shared server of any kind due to the seeming requirement for running Canvas via its built-in web server process (much like other rails apps tend to require).

I doubt this will be easily configurable to run via FastCGI / Apache, making a one-click install probably a difficult process. I can understand if this doesn't get included in Installatron for this reason alone.

Josh
Staff

Post by Josh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 am

Greetings,

We'll take a look at Canvas and see what we can determine about the feasibility of adding it as an Installatron app.

Best regards,
Josh