Plugins / Extensions / Add-ons

For Installatron Sales: sales@installatron.com
Kynao

Plugins / Extensions / Add-ons

Post by Kynao » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 am

Is there a general adviced way of managing Plugins / Extensions / Add-ons of scripts the same way scripts are managed ? ie let's see Installatron as a "script app store" for a second, my suggestion is about managing a second level of app store, that is the script extensions.

Example : a user browse the list of cms, decide to install Joomla and would be able to browse the list of joomla extensions, select what he needs for this joomla installed cms.

Is it something planned to be supported ? or the documentation brings enough to allow us to achieve this (installation/uninstallation/clone/migration of a given extension for a given script) ?

Josh
Staff

Re: Plugins / Extensions / Add-ons

Post by Josh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Hello,

Installed app themes/modules/plugins are managed through the individual applications themselves. In your example, the user would install Joomla, login to Joomla's admin section, then use Joomla's UI to add the desired Joomla extensions.

There's a few exceptions to this:

1)

Extensions can be deployed for Installatron packages that instruct Installatron to install extensions/themes/etc when Installatron installs an app. See:
http://installatron.com/developer/customization

2)

When an application is backed up, restored, and/or cloned, the whole application is affected, including all extensions and other data.

If you have any questions let us know.

Best regards,
Josh

Kynao

Post by Kynao » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:25 am

Josh wrote:Installed app themes/modules/plugins are managed through the individual applications themselves. In your example, the user would install Joomla, login to Joomla's admin section, then use Joomla's UI to add the desired Joomla extensions.
Yes, that's the natural and traditional way, i'm looking for the non natural :)
ie like installing a script by our own is the natural way.
Installatron allows to easily choose a script among a panel and install it, that's the non usual way (even if we look at this as natural :) ).
The non natural/usual way is here very cool :)
Josh wrote: There's a few exceptions to this:
1)
Extensions can be deployed for Installatron packages that instruct Installatron to install extensions/themes/etc when Installatron installs an app. See:
http://installatron.com/developer/customization
So it would possible to install :
Day 1, let's say Joomla.
Day 3 : i discover an interesting extension i would like to add it to Joomla.
Apparently "Application Package Modification" could be of some help here without having to reinstall Joomla, right ? because the description seems to inform it happens during the script install at day 1 which would be problematic.

The idea would be to be able to install a script at a given time, then install one or more add-ons at any time later for each of them. Also being able to do like a snapshot between each install so that the user can go back in time in case of need. In this schema, the only problem the user would have to face is he wants to delete the add-on installed day 3 and want to keep the add-on installed day 5 but i suppose the context is very much too problematic to help him here (because of potential db structure alteration and data introduced into the mix...)

Does clone and migrate take into account web domain/ipaddress ? By reading this http://installatron.com/server/whatsnew30, it looks like and, even if the need is simple, the capability is very strong, so much useful, is it a dream or does it really work this way ? :). So it works with the scripts Installatron actually handles but if for any reason, a silly add-on needs this kind of modification too, i suppose "Application Package Modification" is helpful too, right ?
Josh wrote: 2)
When an application is backed up, restored, and/or cloned, the whole application is affected, including all extensions and other data.
If you have any questions let us know.
That seems to answer the "snapshot" i've just talked about but can the user have many "snapshots" to choose from when restore is needed ? Can he gives a name to a backup/clone/migrate operation ?

Do Installatron plugin and server have differences in features ?

That quite a lot of question, sorry for that, if often happens when we discover a new cool software and Installatron is brand new for me.

Josh
Staff

Post by Josh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:34 am

Hello,

The Installatron App Package Extension/Customization system can only make changes to install and upgrade. It doesn't have any way to modify an installed app independently of these systems. For these type of modifications, the website owner currently needs to login to the app itself.

Regarding Clone/Migrate, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. These processes work as advertised -- we basically take a snapshot of the installed app and copy it to the desired location, all themes/addons/extensions/etc included. The backup feature enables you to create and store multiple "snapshots" of an installed app, and each backup can then be restored at any time in the future.

Regarding Plugin vs. Server, both have similar features and both use the same core engine. Installatron Plugin is designed specifically for use with popular control panels, such as cPanel and Plesk, whereas Installatron Server will work for all other cases.

If I didn't fully address any of your questions please let me know.

Best regards,
Josh